In the city that never sleeps, it’s not all about the queues of motorbikes and scooters, chaotic street markets and 24/7 buzz, Ho Chi Minh City also has a more laidback side. Discover the warren of narrow streets, sip a cold beer at a quaint street café and taste some of the best food Vietnam has to offer.
There are plenty of places to visit in Vietnam promising great pho, but it’s in Ho Chi Minh City that you’ll find the best pho (soup consisting of broth, rice noodles, meat and spices).
1. Pho Hung is a top choice for pho in the city, offering a particularly aromatic deep beef flavour broth.
Address: 241, Nguyen Trai Rd, Nguyen Cu Trinh Ward, District 1
2. Be street-food smart and head to Oc Dao, where everything is either grilled or stir-fried. You can choose from a vast variety of snails, beautiful fresh and live seafood and even some tasty chicken feet.
Address: 212/C79 Nguyen Trai Street | Nguyen Cu Trinh Ward, District 1
3. East West Brewing Co. is Ho Chi Minh City’s first in-house microbrewery, offering excellent food and beer at affordable prices. Among the most popular dishes is muc mot nang, or “one day sunfish,” a traditional Vietnamese dish cooked from a freshly caught squid that has been dried on top of a fisherman’s boat for one day before being frozen. For authentic Vietnamese flavour try the bo kho, a traditional braised beef stew served with French bread.
Address: 181-185 Ly Tu Trong St | District 1
4. A short stroll from Notre Dame Cathedral, you’ll find Propaganda serving tasty traditional Vietnamese cuisine. Start with one of the many spring roll option - duck and spicy ginger fish sauce is a firm favourite. Follow with a main such as the succulent BBQ pork accompanied by a glass of red wine.
Address: 21 Han Thuyen, District 1
5. For a good, traditional Vietnamese experience try Hoa Tuc. Order banh cot, mini pancakes made from rice flour, prawn floss, prawns, pork, then simply wrap them up in lettuce leaves, perilla and mint and dip it in the sauce. Great service with simple and delicious food.
Address: 74/7 Hai Ba Trung | District 1
6. Experience a more home-cooked dinner feel at Secret Garden. At this romantic laid-back rooftop setting, indulge your taste buds in traditional Vietnamese fare.
Address: 158 Pasteur | District 1
7. Banh Mi Hoa Ma do a deconstructed pork roll (a traditional Vietnamese breakfast influenced by the French). You’ll be served a platter with hams, pates, butter, mayonnaise, and all the other ingredients and you then make it yourself. It's a great spot to meet all the locals who have been coming here since they first opened.
Address: 53 Cao Thang, ward 3 | District 3
1. If you’re talking good Vietnamese coffee, Trung Nguyen will do it right. They drip it for you, and you can have it cold, on ice and as strong as you like it.
2. A short distance from Bitexco Tower, Game ON is Ho Chi Minh’s preeminent sports bar. Home to dartboards, a pool table, a dozen TV screens, and large projectors. The bar’s great location and reasonably priced beer make it a popular spot for the locals, especially when there is a game on.
Address: 81 Nguyen Cong Tru | Nguyen Thai Binh, District 1
3. Ho Chi Minh City is experiencing a boom in craft beer, and Malt is one of the best places in town to sample some of the local brews. Centrally located and complete with a shuffleboard and dart boards, head to Malt and choose between dozens of different beers on tap.
Address: 46-48 Mac Thi Buoi, District 1
4. Other great spots for a drink in the city are the cool and hip Qui, Layla or SOHY. There are a growing number of other rooftop bars in Ho Chi Minh City that are definitely worth checking out for great views of the city skyline as the sun goes down.
When you’re looking for where to stay in Ho Chi Minh City there is plenty to choose from, but make sure you get the most out of your stay in the city by staying in at central location with all the amenities you need. Sherwood Suites is a no-brainer with a convenient location in the heart of Ho Chi Minh City and stylish and sophisticated all-suite residences making it the ideal place for you to get the most out of your visit.
This spacious luxury sanctuary is fully-equipped with kitchens, stunning marble-lined bathrooms, floor-to-ceiling windows, free Wi-Fi, plus access to a 24-hour gym, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam bath. You don’t even have to dine elsewhere, the private restaurant at Sherwood Suites features a delicious Asian and international cuisine, and after dinner you can sip a cocktail from the pool bar.
When flights are delayed, you can’t find a taxi and hotels aren’t all they promised, business travel can be stressful, but with these helpful Vietnam business-trip-tips, your business trip is sure to be a big success.
Accommodation for Business and Relaxing